Health Benefits of Pineapple Sage
Pineapple sage is used as a tonic for the brain and provides relief from mental fatigue as well as stress. It also treats depression, anxiety, and high blood pressure. Some benefits provided by Pineapple sage are described below:
Research shows that New flavanone, 5-O-(6-rhamnosylglucoside)-7-hydroxy-4′-methoxyflavanone (2), was extracted from leaves that showed antidepressant properties. The research also shows antihypertensive properties of plants which were due to the presence of AG II antagonism and restriction of angiotensin-converting enzyme. In Mexico, it is called Mirto which is broadly used in traditional medicine for curing various diseases. (1) (2) (3) (4)
Pineapple sage effectively lowers blood pressure. In Mexico, it is used to treat high blood pressure. It displays anti-hypertensive activities such as ACE inhibitors. The activities of anti-hypertensive properties are disclosed in The Journal of Ethnopharmacology.
The leaves are added to the salads for the treatment of constipation. It is due to the presence of fiber in the leaves. It is also used with raisins for constipation.
4. Body heat
Pineapple sage provides cooling properties to the body. It is also used to garnish summer drinks and also as a fruity spread.
The leaves of Pineapple sage help to provide relief from indigestion. It is used to digest meat and also cures indigestion problems that are caused due to the consumption of daily foods or animal foods.
The tea of Pineapple sage helps to provide relief from acidity and heartburn. The leaves of Pineapple sage possess antacid properties which help to treat acidity, gastritis, digestive problems, and burning sensation.
* Mexican traditional medicine uses it to provide relief from the ailments of the central nervous system such as anxiety.
* In Mexico, the plant is used for healing purposes and lowers blood pressure.
* This herb calms the nervous system, serves as a tonic, improves the digestive system, and treats heartburn.
* It is also used to treat depression.
* This herb is used to treat snake bites, infection, eye problems, epilepsy, memory loss, intoxication, intestinal problems, and worms.
* In ancient Greece, it is also used as an aphrodisiac.
* Herbalists believe that it possesses adaptogenic properties.
* Pineapple sage should not be used regularly for more than one month.
* The tea of Pineapple sage should not be consumed for more than 10 days of continuous use.
* Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid the use of Pineapple sage.
* It may interact with the sedative medications and also cause sleepiness.
* The people who are ill or have any health concerns should consult a health practitioner.
* One cup of herbal infusion is recommended in a day, except during cold or flu, one could have it thrice a day only for 4 days.
* While using herbal remedies one should be aware of the side effects while taking infusions.
* It may cause convulsions when taken in excessive amounts as it has a-thujone which is a toxic substance.
How to make pineapple sage tea
* Boil pineapple leaves in a cup of water.
* Boil it for 5 minutes and then it should be cooled.
* Honey or sugar could be added to enhance the taste of tea.
* It helps to promote liver function and enhance digestion.